Saturday, April 16, 2011

avoiding the oppie - day 1

As I suspected, my daughter has taken my op-shop moratorium badly.

On the very first day, despite a clogged up nose, and a rather impressive sounding cough (well, if you are impressed by sickness), she insisted we needed to go to an Op shop to find a friend for Moby Dick, because he was lonely in the ocean...


(She also wanted me to tell her the story of Moby Dick - oh, maybe not quite the right story for a nearly 4 year old - so I told her to make up her own... sure enough, it was a story about Moby finding a whale friend...).

I started to have a "wants versus needs" conversation with her (all the time, thinking I was a pot talking to a kettle), but felt so sorry for my glazed eyed girl, and found myself saying "We don't need to go out for a whale, we could make one."


I took a rough pattern from Moby, cut into some old trackies from the rag pile, keeping away from the threadworn bits, and sewed - with one eye on the machine, and one eye on my little cheerleader dancing on the bed (amazing what a bit of toy anticipation can do...),


and made Teacle.




Teacle loves turning somersaults in the ocean, and eating shrimp, but mostly she loves spending time with her best friend Moby.


I wonder what I will resort to next time the op shop beckons? Christy and I are going to try and stay away for the rest of April - does anyone else want to / need to join us?

12 comments:

CurlyPops said...

What a sweet idea, and a perfect lesson in using what you have rather than just buying more stuff!

Nelly said...

Awww love it well done and congrats

Alison said...

Such a sweet little tail, oops I mean tale.

Teacle looks ever so cute and such a success story.

I would like to try with the " No Op Shop" ban for April, however does that include garage sales, as um I've already been to some today. Oops! I didn't get anything for me, it was my girls, honest.

They had some friends from school set up a shop out on the path and were selling some toys, books and clothes. I think it was a great way for them to learn all about how to sell and make money.

We hope to have our own sale soon. They find it hard to say goodbye to stuff, however to know that they earn their own money makes it easier.

Makeminemidcentury said...

That's the best home-made whale/Op Shop diversion plan I've ever seen.

I'm not joining your self-imposed ban, however. Sometimes the Op Shop siren to too loud to ignore!

Thaar she blows!

Tas said...

Lovely idea. My child stops me from going to oppies. Not physically but as good as she normally is when we have to go out and do chores, she has a short attention span in op shops. I will start going again once she is in school. I can't wait to see what you have to come up with next... ;)

Tania said...

You know what? You would never ever never have found anything half as sweet as Treacle at the oppie - or anywhere else. Come on lady. You're good at this winging-it bizzo.

Cate said...

that is the cutest whale!! You never would have found one so perfect!
Well done on successfully completing day 1 - I'm massively impressed on your will power :-)
xxxCate

teddybearswednesday said...

I'm with Tania, there's no way in hell you could have found a cuter or more full of like and personality than Treacle anywhere. look at that face xo

Bungalowgirl said...

Love Teacle or is it Treacle? Your new motto should be " A crafted creature a day keeps the opshop away". Looking forward to your next project. Plus after another 2 weeks your fabric stash will be so depleted you will completely be able to justify another op shop spree ! Melx.

Christy Franklin said...

Fantastic diversion. I have THREE DAYS off work this week and it is going to be SUPER HARD to not go to any oppies.... I will have to distract myself like you, just sew!!

Allana said...

Well done!! I have sworn off oppies too until we sell our house and have our new one ready to move in to. You have inspired me to use what I have to make it work :)

nadine paduart said...

so.
you.
are.
courageous.
n♥